Home

PRK recovery forum

PRK and LASIK are almost the same thing and use the same laser for the corneal reshaping. The only difference is that in LASIK they make a flap and then use the laser underneath the flap while in PRK they remove the flap completely, reshape the cornea underneath, and then the part they removed grows back (which is why it's more painful) Posts: 2,210. PRK Recovery Diary. Guys, had PRK done on April 3, 2012. Here is a on-going rolling diary of things. I will update time allowing/work schedule allowing. Day of Surgery - April 3 2012/late afternoon. My surgery is/was wavefront custom PRK. My dr used the Allegretto laser, which is reportedly the top machine as of present date PRK Recovery? Forum Index » Health and Medicine : Author Message; 04/07/2017 16:31 Subject: PRK Recovery? Anonymous: My husband is getting PRK next week and I'm wondering what his recovery will be like? He has 5 days off of work- how many days before I can leave him alone with the baby? I'm a SAHM so I'm looking forward to getting out a little. After researching corrective eye surgery on this forum and reading articles on the Internet, I decided to go with PRK corrective eye surgery instead of LASIK. The recovery time is longer, but my vision should end up a bit better, and I should be a little less likely to have any problems if I get poked in the eye. In this thread, I'll chronicle how things go day-by-day with pre-surgery, surgery. From what I understand, PRK was the original laser eye surgery procedure. The PRK procedure has a longer recovery time and more discomfort. I had LASIK surgery last April. Best thing I've ever done. I went from 20-200 vision to 20-20 overnight and all the way to 20-10 within 1 month

Hold off on the PRK. Within the next few months the navy will approve Lasik and it will be available to service members. Lasik is a much better procedure, faster recovery and overall better long term results. I was going to get PRK from the navy in a few months, between duty stations. But now you're down 3-6mo for PRK I had PRK done about 10 years ago. My vision is still great since the procedure. Recovery was brutal. Immense pain for a few days that transition to moderate pain for probably another week. It's the kind of pain that you can't get comfortable with. Brutal. Took awhile for my vision to return fully as well. Didn't drive for awhile Health. I'm 22 years old and I've been wearing glasses since 1st grade. I decided to get rid of them and had laser eye surgery of the PRK kind 2 weeks ago. My prescription was -4.75 in both eyes. PRK, as opposed to the easier and more expensive LASIK surgery, comes with a slow and painful recovery. Right now my vision is close to 20/20 Recovery after PRK occurs in stages:Stage 1 - seconds to minutes after the procedure, the vision is surprisingly clear, actually better than it is after LASIK at this point.Stage 2 - begins about 30-60 min after the procedure, as the numbing drops used during surgery wear off. The patient begins to experience mild to moderate discomfort in the eye

My PRK Recovery Timeline. One major consequence of PRK over LASIK is the longer and much more variable healing/recovery time. It's nerve-racking having blurry vision weeks and even months after surgery. The amount of time required to heal can be frustrating. Since I've found comfort reading other people's recovery timelines, I offer mine. PRK, again, a bit longer of a recovery period. Here's the breakdown: Thursday after surgery: I felt fine. My vision was fuzzy, but nothing really hurt. I wasn't in too much discomfort, just kinda wanted to go home and go to sleep. Which is what you're supposed to do anyway, as the eyes need rest and are sensitive to light

Recovery from PRK eye surgery really sucks AnandTech

1. The recovery on the PRK eye was awful, and took SO long before I was able to actually see. [Interestingly, I too ended up in the hospital after a day due to breathing issues (we think my meds triggered an allergic reaction; the interesting thing for me is that I had discussed my allergies with the clinic before the surgery and they STILL.
  2. Day 3 for PRK recovery is always especially extra problematic because the epithelium heals from the outside inwards, in an annular manner, and eventually all of the healing converges to fully occlude the treated corneal area. Perfectly normal. My Dr. specifically briefed me, with diagrams and pictures, that things would get worse as things healed
  3. I had PRK done probably 15 years ago and it was the best money I have ever spent. They wanted $4800 and I talked them down to $1000 an eye out the door so $2000 total. Recovery took a few weeks but I have not had any problems since. You will love not having contacts or glasses
  4. utes per eye to complete, with only a few days to a few weeks of recovery time, there are potential side effects from this procedure. Before you make a decision to get surgery to correct your vision problems, it is important to know about the risks associated with the procedure
  5. The time frame for recovery is my main concern in my decision making to have Lasik or PRK. So far every person, I know who has had Lasik are thrilled with the results and would do it again. However, from reading posts on this forum a lot of people prefer PRK
Pedigree Database: WHK CAIRO

Threads in Board : Lasik Eye Surgery. Board Tools. Search this Board. Views: 34,776 Announcement: Posting Policy. 06-01-2019 Administrator (Senior Veteran) Related Boards: Eye & Vision, (see also Boards by Health Category ) Board Index: Click here to find threads on Lasik Eye Surgery by keywords and phrases Since photorefractive keratectomy was approved by the FDA in 1995, patient outcomes have steadily improved. Better visual results, fewer complications and reduced pain after the surgery have all contributed to increased interest in surface ablation. 1. The Achilles' heel of PRK, however, remains the time required for epithelial healing My PRK Surgery and Recovery. Post author. By Brian Stucki. Post date. 31 August 2007. A few weeks ago I mentioned it and today it happens. I'll be having PRK surgery on both of my eyes. I'm really excited about no more contacts, though I have to admit that I'm a little nervous. It's partially because of the surgery, but also a bit on. A blog about my PRK experience, preparation, and recovery. Symptoms Dry eyes in the morning Trouble focusing up close, and headaches when I do try Feeling of an eyelash in my eye, which escalated.. Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads

The recovery time with Lasek is more prolonged, although the outcome, surgically, is eventually no different to Lasik. It does seem like a lot of us on this forum are experiencing similar blurry eye sight so lets hope it does get clearer as time goes on. An eye healing from conventional or custom wavefront Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK. I had PRK done November 13, 2009. And yes, I am feeling like I was not completely informed on what to expect. I was told at my Post op exam on Saturday 11-14 that I would be able to drive myself to my appointment on Tuesday 11-17. So didn't happen and I am still not able to drive, read or watch tv comfortably In PRK—the procedure I chose—the surgeon removes a thin layer of the cornea altogether, reshapes the tissue, and the surface layer grows back and smooths out over time. (Full disclosure: PRK does have a longer recovery time and your vision improves over the the course of a few months until it is crystal clear, instead of just a few days. Posts: 3321. Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 pm. Got PRK in 2000 and had to be back at work 5 days later (Surgery on Thursday, Work on Tuesday). It sucked, but you can do it. *Take lots of breaks. PRK surgery has the longest recovery time, when compared to the other two surgeries. The complete recovery time is longer because it takes around one week for the corneal cells to grow back, and then between two to six weeks for clear vision to occur. It has been reported that PRK can cause increased discomfort post surgery, when compared to.

PRK Recovery Diary - Airline Pilot Central Forum

Post your picture! - Page 7 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

I had PRK done about 4 years ago. I went with it for the same reasons you mentioned, particularly being worried about someone's fist or a tree branch catching me in the eye and pulling the flap open if I went with LASIK.(LASIK, they cut 2/4 of a square and lift it to allow the laser through, PRK they scrub a bit of lense off) I don't know how likely it actually is, but I wasn't willing to. PRK, also known as 'photorefractive keratectomy', is the original form of laser eye surgery. As opposed to LASIK, in PRK the doctor applies the energy of the laser directly to the surface of the cornea. Therefore PRK does not require any cutting of the corneal tissue. Patients might decide to avoid PRK because it has a much longer vision. PRK recovery Blog. This is a blog of my PRK eye surgery done on June 3rd, 2016 in Vancouver BC. My PRK was done by Dr. Holland of Pacific Laser Eye Center. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or anything else you need. I originally had PRK done in the early 1990's. I was one of the first people to get it Thread: PRK Recovery Diary. View Single Post 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM #1 satpak77. Working weekends . Joined APC: Jul 2005. Position: Left Seat. Posts: 2,210 PRK Recovery Diary. Guys, had PRK done on April 3, 2012. Here is a on-going rolling diary of things. I will update time allowing/work schedule allowin PRK lasers the surface of the cornea and reshapes it. It burns off the epithelial cells on the surface. While they grow back it is painful. You get local anesthetic drops to keep that in check. LASIK cuts a flap out of the cornea, then that flap is lifted up. The middle up the cornea is lasered the change the shape

PRK Recovery? - DC Urban Mo

PRK and the newer PRK variants like trans-PRK seem like the safer choice, even if recovery takes longer thank LASIK, but the one thing that gives me pause is the Bownman's layer that gets destroyed in the process. So far there is no much knowledge of what the purpose of that layer is, but it doesn't regenerate I had prk in 2008 7 seconds per eye. It was only a few days before it was clear and maybe two to 3 weeks till I felt 100%. Still 20/15 in both eyes. From what I remember anyways. Might of been a bit longer. Posted: 11/10/2017 11:15:48 PM EDT. Mine took at least 5 days, maybe longer Hi All, I searched the forums when I was first thinking about laser eye surgery a few months ago and never found a dedicated topic on eye surgery. Since many people out there are like myself and relied on glasses/contacts for years, I thought I would share my story. Note: I was treated with PRK a.. I had PRK done in '03. Painful at first because of the pupil dilation and sensitivity to light for first few days. You're trying to read everything possible. But after that it's pretty decent. Took about a week recovery time for me. Same thing about the halos around lights at night too

My Experience with PRK Corrective Eye Surger

Basically what he told me is, PRK is the way to go. LASIK is a shorter, less painful recovery time, and it's very unlikely the flap would ever open up, however there is still a possibility that could happen, and it would obviously be more likely with someone who does a striking martial art than the average person I had PRK several years ago. The biggest difference to me is with PRK, they never cut the cornea and when it heals, the cornea is as strong as before the surgery. With lasik, you'll always have the scar on the cornea which is a weak spot. I'm told there is no pain with lasik. With PRK, there was minor pain, similar to having something in your eye What Is PRK Surgery Recovery Like? Right after surgery, your ophthalmologist will place a bandage contact lens over your eye to help it heal. You will need to have someone drive you home after surgery. You should plan to go home and take a nap or just relax after the surgery Recovery can therefore take longer than with LASIK. Also, as the epithelium contains many nerve endings, there will be considerably greater discomfort during the recovery period. Just over a decade ago, PRK was the most commonly performed laser refractive surgery procedure in the world. Although it has since been superceded by LASIK, PRK has.

anyone had PRK laser eye correction? Hunting Cha

How long does it take to Recover from PRK? Air Warrior

1. I just passed my first PRK waiver renewal in the AF. Had PRK back in 2002, OTS/FC1 Waiver in 2007, survived being a lab rat at Brooks, winged in 2009. It's been 8 years since my PRK and I'm still 20/20. As someone was talking about recently, WAIT until your eyes peak out/stabilize at their worst before you get surgery
  2. The difference between PRK and Lasik is that Lasik surgery creates a thin, hinged flap on the cornea to access the treatment area. In PRK, the cornea's entire outer layer is removed and no flap is created. What they told me: My doctor told me that PRK does have a longer recovery time, but he never mentioned how long
  3. Forums. Naval Aviation Training. PRK LASIK or PRK. Thread starter desertflyer; Start I'm wondering if I should get the LASIK and avoid some of the pain and recovery time, or do the PRK and potentially have a higher chance of having a waiver granted?.
  4. I really didn't think the recovery was that big of a deal, I was off work for 7 days then back to working the street. My vision was 20/40 the day after and is now 20/15 6 months later. The biggest thing to be aware of with PRK is fluctuation in vision during recovery

Lasik vs PRK Surgery Rokslide Foru

1. Several years ago, my Army O-3 (O-2 at the time) had the PRK procedure. Yes, PRK is more invasive and the recovery time is much longer. However, he was told at the time that the military would only approve PRK for its better long term outcomes. Aviation was not in the picture for him
  2. And each week, I heard of another friend or coworker having lasik, or the PRK laser procedure, another form of corrective eye vision surgery, then glowing about how incredible life is from that.
  3. Mar 13, 2013. 6. 0. Status (Visible) Pre-Optometry. Aug 15, 2013. #4. I am not sure why PRK would be unsafe for a rx higher than -5 as its generally used more than LASIK for patient with higher prescriptions and/or thinner corneas. As well as patients who have deep scars, irregular corneal topographies and huge pupils
  4. During PRK, an eye surgeon uses a cool pulsing beam of ultraviolet light on the surface of your cornea. LASIK, another type of laser surgery, works underneath your cornea. A longer recovery.

I had PRK laser eye surgery 2 weeks ago (the painful kind

DSCF3482 | NVISION Laser Eye Center | Flickr

Forums Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness. (Basic difference - they don't cut a flap...but scrub away a bit of the cornea if I remember correctly.) PRK has a longer recovery time (at least a week until you can even see clear from the literature I was given.) I opted against the whole procedure for other reasons...but best of luck. Laser eye surgery is extremely safe nowadays and there are even fewer complications with PRK compared with Lasik as the majority of any complications are as a result of the formation of the flap during Lasik. The only downside to PRK is the longer recovery time after surgery PRK Downsides. The major downside with PRK is recovery time: PRK has the longest recovery period out of all three laser eye surgeries. It takes about a week for the cells on the outer layer of your cornea to grow back. It can then take anywhere from two to six weeks for the cells to smooth and allow for clear vision LASIK and PRK should be equally effective, but it is important to know that the processes are a bit different. LASIK has a far shorter recovery time and PRK is considered generally safer. But as with any surgery, there are some risks involved! Possible risks of these corrective PRK Photorefractive Keratectomy surgeries are: Eye Drynes

What is the Recovery Timeline After the PRK Procedure

My PRK Recovery Timeline - Alex Tra

macOS Big Sur clients are requesting PRK to boot. Hallo Jamfnation i got a question: We have some macOS BigSur clients that are asking for the personal recovery key, most of them are M1 Macbook airs with standard users with a securetoken. It is totally at random so after a reboot or shutdown and then cold start users are presented to type in. The downside was of course the long and painful recovery. I had the fancy eye mapping stuff done too and for those asking about PRK, it really does really get tons better by month 3. My vision was pretty fuzzy for a while after the procedure and right around month 3, boom, I was at 20-10 It's a little older than Lasik and is actually usually cheaper, but the drawback is that the recovery period is much, much longer. Whereas Lasik will have you up and running in a day, PRK recovery usually lasts for around two weeks, and it's also supposed to be a lot more painful. My wife still thinks I should get it, though On 5/21 I went and got myself some Photo-Refreactive-Keratectomy due to a slew of life circumstances that told me that waiting for the perfect time to better yourself is a loser's game. Like the much more popular LASIK, its a form of laser eye surgery that will essentially etch a contact lens..

A Week Ago I Got PRK Laser Eye Surgery And Have Gone From

I never used a drop of that saline and the staff there couldn't really tell me what it was for. That's awesome you did well. Pain was my big fear, especially travelling alone to Vancouver. I had a local friend on standby, but the whole idea of undergoing a 'traditional' PRK recovery in a hotel room was kind of scary at the outset I am considering laser vision correction (PRK method). My current prescription is OD+150-100x085 / OS+050-025x095 +225 add. I prefer the option of correcting the distant vision on both eyes so that I' Newcomers to Recovery - Curious about recovery? Get support from people going through the same things you are and from those who have been there. This safe and welcoming forum focuses on support and sharing personal experience. Please, no recovery method debates, or medical advice--just encouragement Home > Forum > Triathlon Forum > PRK laser eye surgery. Triathlon Forum. Back To Forum Print Thread. Login required to started new threads. Login required to post replies. Tri. Classifieds. I am sure I will be thrilled in the long run, but, the PRK pain and recovery time sucks... If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go. In the evolution of laser vision correction (LVC), PRK was developed first. The advantage is that it does not have a flap. Disadvantages is the time and pain of recovery, the cornea is exposed with for a fee days while the epithelium heals, this p..

Hello. I have searched on many forums and found some good experiences but I would love to hear feedback to my specific recovery story. I had PRK surgery 6 1/2 weeks ago. I expected the recovery to be much quicker. My initial prescription was only -1.56 in my left eye and -1.65 in my right eye I had PRK 10 years ago. I could have had lasik but was told by two doctors that PRK would be better long-term The recovery was not as bad as I expected - dry, scratchy feeling like sand in the eye for the first few days. I was driving and could have been back at work within a few days but took off a full 10 days PRK healing, while nothing unbearable, is clearly more inconvenient than the healing/recovery of LASIK. LASIK, my understanding (from my doctor), can leave the eye in a state, even 10 years later, that any impacts to the eye can be a medical emergency The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action Booked my flights and accomodation for myself and my mum (she's my carer for the week). Staying in Sydney for 7 days. 1 week prior to surgery: started taking omega 3 twice a day. 3 days prior to surgery: started 3000mgs of Vit C per day as per instruction. Day before the surgery: Arrived in Sydney

I went in for LASIK and they did PRK surgery-My Experience

I am in 44, raise in Bangladesh, now live NY. I had PRK surgery done on May 2017, my recovery was fine no pain, vision was getting clear day by day. On July 16, 2017, I felt crazy pain on my left eye get admitted in the emergency in NUMC. Ophthalmologist checks and confirms the Inflammation on my left eye and right eye has no issue I had WFG PRK done back in 2012 as an initial treatment. My wife had LASIK done in 2004 and has the free tune up but hasn't had a need to do it yet. My understanding is other than method of accessing the cornea, the reshaping is exactly the same and should be permanent, except for impacts due to aging of the eyes

Recovery from PRK: what was I thinking? : lasi

Any surgery risks, so does a PRK surgery. Complicating diseases can occur after a myopic laser surgery. Some may manifest the symptom of dazzle, namely seeing a light spot as a light ball or halation in the evening, which has something to do with slight hydroncus of cornea tissue after the surgery and will gradually diminish with time passing by Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear 4. LASIK and PRK . There are two main surgical techniques used to performlaser vision correction: LASIK and PRK. The major difference between these surgeries is the way in which access is gained to the anterior corneal stroma. In LASIK, a 100-200 µm corneal flap is created using a microkeratome (blade) or femtosecond laser (Sakimoto et al. 2006) Really there is no really extra benefit of Lasik over PRK, if you don't mind the longer recovery. Read over google, and you will find some pros and cons, seeing that Lasik does have more downsides, and usually more serious, than PRK. However, even myself take those with a pinch of salt. For example Lasikcomplications website is a big advocate. Research has also demonstrated a faster epithelial healing time for single-step T-PRK, with one study showing that the epithelium was completely healed by a mean of 2.5 days after T-PRK compared to 3.7 days after alcohol-assisted PRK. Re-epithelialisation is also faster after T-PRK than after LASEK and PRK with manual epithelium removal

Approximate IOL power adjustment to account for RK effect on keratometry. Step 1: calculate IOL power at www.IOLCalc.com based on lowest central K values measured and aim for -0.25: Step 2: make the following adjustment to IOL power: 4-cut RK Add +0.5 D to IOL power. 8-cut RK (>3mm OZ) Add +1.0 D to IOL power Treatment of Epithelial Basement Membrane Dystrophy With Manual Superficial Keratectomy. Leslie T. L. Pham, MD; Kenneth M. Goins, MD; John E. Sutphin, MD; Michael D. Wagoner, MD, PhD. Posted February 22, 2010. Epithelial basement membrane dystrophy (EBMD) is the most common type of corneal dystrophy, affecting 2% of the population.[1 Review: Cataract surgery after prior RK. This patient was very myopic and desired surgical correction many years before the advent of the excimer laser. As such, she had 20 cuts of radial keratotomy (RK) in the cornea in order to induce enough flattening to result in an emmetropic outcome A gradual recovery in sensitivity then followed to reach preoperative levels by 1 year. Transverse Study: There was no significant difference in corneal sensitivity found as a result of different PRK ablation depths. The depth of ablation was not a factor in corneal sensitivity recovery in low to moderate myopic corrections

Find out what is the average cost of LASIK, what is included in the cost of LASIK/PRK, discounts, our $1000 offer, and our Employee Friends & Family discount. Call Us: 1.866.755.2026 Espanol: 1.866.921.239 No fewer than 79 percent of eyes were within ±0.25 D, and 92 percent were within ±0.5 D of target from one week to 12-months postop. 2. • Preservation of corneal nerves. With SMILE, the incision is smaller than LASIK's; creating a LASIK flap involves a large incision that extends almost around the entire cornea IntraLASIK. PRK. LASEK. Epi-LASIK. Within each category, the flap and flapless procedures are very similar in terms of speed of recovery, comfort level and overall risk profile. However, the two categories differ substantially when compared to each other. For the vast majority of patients, most surgeons would likely agree that a flapless.

Lasik vs PRK Surgery Page 3 Rokslide Foru

The recovery process can take slightly longer— usually a couple of weeks. The slightly longer recovery time of LASEK is a small compromise to make when it comes to correcting your vision for the long term with laser eye surgery— something that you wouldn't be able to benefit from otherwise. Benefits of Lasik. Quick to complet On Blogger since October 2011. Profile views - 191. My blogs. PRK Recovery 6+ week For both you will need to submit medical docs stating full recovery, for one of my friends her enlistment was delayed about 6 months. I am pretty sure she had to get a waiver and got prk. I think from our last extensive thread that discussed this the consensus is that you want prk if you want to go aviation

Strabismus surgery x3 in ForumAmusement Park Dream Meaning - iDreI 751 Processing Time 2018 Vermont at Resume Design

A SMILE Refresher. . Since SMILE is relatively new on the refractive scene in the United States, it might be helpful to describe the procedure. What makes SMILE unique is that it's an all-femtosecond laser refractive procedure. The only laser currently able and approved to perform SMILE is the VisuMax femtosecond laser (Carl Zeiss Meditec) Almost everyone experiences some level of burning, tearing and light sensitivity during the first 4 hours of LASIK eye surgery recovery. This can range from barely noticeable or quite bothersome, depending on the type of technology used and how your eyes react, however it should only last 2-4 hours Similar recovery time. Patients will have 20/20 vision within one to two days. Differences Between LASIK & SMILE Eye Surgery. LASIK and SMILE are similar vision correction procedures and provide the same results (20/20 vision). The main difference between LASIK and SMILE is that SMILE does not use an excimer laser to remove the corneal tissue